Amanda

By Amanda

LifeBuzz Staff

She Drank An Energy Drink At The Beach, What Happened Afterwards Is Heartbreaking.

Though any untimely death is tragic, there are certain things that are part of an "acceptable" narrative when it comes to these heartbreaking situations. For instance, if someone is abusing drugs or alcohol and has an overdose, the pain is just as great as any other death -- but in a way, we can wrap our heads around it more easily, because we know those substances are dangerous in the first place.

But what happens when a death is caused by something that's considered "safe" -- so safe, in fact, that it's sold in grocery stores and even marketed specifically to young people? How can we possibly accept and understand that?

That's what's at stake in this story, about a young girl who passed away at a tragically young age, simply for consuming something that most of us have at least tried a few times. Find out what doctors are saying killed her -- and what you can do to help her grieving family -- in the story below.

In the summer of 2014, Lanna Hannam traveled to Mexico for the weekend.

She was 14 years old, and she was vacationing with a few friends and their parents on the beach.

In the summer of 2014, Lanna Hannam traveled to Mexico for the weekend.

HLN / YouTube

Until then, she was a happy, healthy teenager.

But in Mexico, she made a choice that would cost her everything.

Until then, she was a happy, healthy teenager.

HLN / YouTube

During a long beach day, the unthinkable happened.

Lanna mysteriously went into cardiac arrest on the beach, despite the fact that she'd had no previous health issues. Tragically, she died as a result.

During a long beach day, the unthinkable happened.

HLN / YouTube

When her parents got the news, they couldn't understand what must have happened.

That's when they learned the shocking truth: Lanna hadn't had any water the day of her death, and all she was drinking was Red Bull.

When her parents got the news, they couldn't understand what must have happened.

HLN / YouTube

So how could this have caused her death?

According to experts, it's the high levels of caffeine and sugar in these kinds of energy drinks that can lead to some pretty serious outcomes.

So how could this have caused her death?

HLN / YouTube

Page 1 of 2

Tell us what you think

Like Us On Facebook!Close this