Krista Miranda

By Krista Miranda

LifeBuzz Staff

Mother's Post About The Dangers Of Popcorn Hits Home For Many Parents.

Pneumonia

Something unbelievable had happened while Nash was eating the popcorn with his family. “The doctors found six pieces of popcorn embedded in Nash’s lungs," said Nicole. Unfortunately, while Nash was coughing on the popcorn, the pieces of food were lodging into his lungs.

Infection

Due to his body not recognizing the foreign substance, it developed pus pockets around the popcorn. Nash's lungs became inflamed and infected. The infection quickly turned into pneumonia. Nicole wrote on Facebook, "During the procedure, the doctor got out 6 pieces. There was so much inflammation so the dr wasn’t 100% he got it all so scheduled him to be admitted and repeat the procedure in 2 days."

Infection

Olga Guryanova / Unsplash

Successful Procedures

She continued, "The second procedure was done and once again poor guy had to be put under and rolled off to surgery. The doctor met us when it was over and said the procedure was successful and he got the last piece out. Nash was a rockstar and recovered well. He had to go one hour on room air oxygen without his 02 dropping under 90. He passed and we were discharged that evening. If I wouldn’t have trusted my instinct and brought him in, the outcome wouldn’t have been good."

Frightening Ordeal

Fortunately, everything worked out just fine for little Nash because he was brought to the hospital in time. As you can imagine, Nash's parents were extremely worried. “I paced and cried the entire time my little man was in surgery. It was an up and down roller coaster," said Nicole.

Sharing The Experience

“I hate to use the excuse he’s our third child, so I overlook and don’t pay as close attention to the do’s and don’ts as we did with our first,” she explained. “I wanted to share our experience because as I’ve shared the story so many people were shocked and unaware of the bad effect popcorn can have on a toddler."

Page 2 of 3