21 Thanksgiving Hacks You Need To Know About BEFORE Thanksgiving.
#8. Microwave garlic for 10 seconds to cut peeling time.
#9. Slow roast your potatoes in French Onion soup mix.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Toss together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 package French Onion recipe mix, 1/2 teaspoon crumbled rosemary leaves, and 4 medium all-purpose potatoes chopped into wedges. Add ingredients into a pan or baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
(Recipe from Knorr; Cheap Recipe Blog adaptation recommends adding thinly sliced shallots)
#10. Red potatoes in a slow cooker means delicious mashed potatoes without the peeling and boiling.
#11. Remember the vegetarian in the family with Kitchen Treaty's Vegetarian Onion Gravy.
What You'll Need:
- 5 tablespoons butter (used in increments of 1 and 5, see instructions); use Earth Balance for vegans
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- optional: 1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 10-15 minutes or until light brown.
- Empty onions into a small bowl and set aside.
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter to the pan, then stir in the flour. Cook for 3 minutes with frequent stirring.
- Add in the vegetable broth bit by bit until the mixture thickens for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in cooked onions and Tamari or soy sauce if desired. Use salt and pepper as needed.
#12. Create an edible roasting rack of celery and carrots in lieu of a metal one.
#13. Roast two 10-14 pound turkeys instead of one large one. Feeds 20 and cooks faster.
#14. Spatchcock, or butterfly, the turkey for a quicker, easier, and evenly cooked meal.
Page 2 of 3Next ›